Mitzvah day is a day of social action. It is not about fundraising or donating money; it is simply about taking a couple of hours of our time to help others, both within our own community and in the wider community.
Mitzvah Day 2016 is on Sunday 27th November. It is just over a month away!
Our Bushey Gives Back committee has been working very hard over the last few months getting lots of projects together under our theme of ‘All you need is love’ as we try to bring a smile to people’s faces! So please help us make this Mitzvah Day the best one yet through getting involved in one of the volunteering opportunities we have available.
The list pf projects is below – please let me know as soon as possible what you would be interested in helping with so we can hopefully fill all the slots.
- A Mitzvah Day Tea Party in the afternoon bringing together our senior and junior members. We need lots of volunteers for this one:-
- making sandwiches (Between 11am-1pm)
- serving tea (3-5pm)
- helping with transport (2.45-3.15pm and 4.45-5.15pm)
- Helping children with craft activities (2.30-5.30pm)
- Collecting for GIFT outside Flax and Kelman’s between 9am and 1pm (1 hour slots)
- Gardening at the New Hope Trust Homeless Shelter 9am-1pm
- Visiting elderly people in Bushey who are members of our neighbouring Christian communities – As well as volunteers to visit people we are also looking for someone to help Adrienne Grossman plan and coordinate this project over the next few weeks.
- Visiting Watford General Hospital children’s ward – timings TBC
- Manning the donations stands at shul 10am-1pm (1 hour slots) This year we are collecting for Bushey FoodBank and Noah’s Ark Children’s Hospice- more details to follow
And for children:-
- Mitzvah Zone for children this year will be in the afternoon as part of the Tea Party so please bring your children and grandchildren to our Mitzvah craft fair 3-5pm at the Shul on Sunday 19th November
And for youth:-
- We welcome our youth to get involved in any of the above projects that interests them either by themselves or in a group.
- Also, following the success of last year’s musical concert at Princess Alexandra we would like to have something similar at the Mitzvah Day Tea Party in the afternoon. If you would like to get involved in this please let me know.
We look forward to hearing from you soon,
The Bushey Gives Back committee
If you think you might be able to help or would like more information, then please email .
For a flavour of what goes on, look at write up, videos and photos of previous Mitzvah Day activities.