If you need someone to talk to following the death of a relative or friend, then Bushey Community Cares is able to offer you someone to talk to who had been specifically trained to provide you with bereavement support and if they are unable to help you to point you in the direction of someone who can.
It can also offer you a befriending service as well as help and support to the bereaved and their families. If you do need someone to talk to please call the 24-hour dedicated confidential helpline, on 020 8950 3344.
More information about bereavement support can be found by clicking here.
In the event of a death, we would suggest you either contact our Rabbi or the Administrator (Mary Chambers) in the Synagogue office. Either of them will be able to provide you with useful and practical advice on what to do.
If you require a burial certificate and the death occurred within Hertfordshire please phone 0300 123 4045. For the Sunday emergency service, phone between 9am and 11 am on Sunday morning. If the deceased has died at home at a time when the United Synagogue Burial Society cannot collect, and the family wish for an undertaker to take the deceased, a possibility is Macleans Funeral Services on 01923 894 116. They will keep the deceased until the United Synagogue can collect. Any removal charges from the undertakers will be for the family to pay.
In the event of a death, we would advise you to take the following steps:
- Notify one of the United Synagogue’s burial offices IMMEDIATELY and leave a contact phone number on United Synagogue Burial Office – 020 8950 7767
- If the Burial Offices are closed and you would like to speak to someone please call 07957 119 119 (this service is not available on Shabbat or Yomtov)
- Notify the Rabbi (and Voluntary Chevra Kadisha if your synagogue has one). This is optional, as the burial office will do this.
- Obtain a death certificate from the doctor or hospital, stating the cause of death.
- Take the death certificate to the Registrar for Births and Deaths: it must be the Registrar in the vicinity where the death occurred.
- Phone the Burial Office once you have been issued with the relevant documentation. The burial office will advise what to do next.
- Once funeral arrangements have been made, the burial office will contact the Synagogue Administrator who will assist with shiva chairs and prayer books and liaise with the Rabbi about the funeral and shiva. If you wish, you may contact your own Minister.
- Speak personally with the Rabbi about the funeral service and shiva arrangements.
- Notify family and friends of the arrangements.
For further information, please contact .
Links to US & Community Cares
Jewish Bereavement Counselling
The United Synagogue provides a bereavement Counselling service, which can be found by following this LINK.
Bushey Community Cares
Bushey Community Cares is a programme run by the community for members of the community. Information can be found by following this LINK.
Locating a Grave
If you are trying to locate the grave of a friend or relative and that person was buried in a United Synagogue cemetery then the following LINK may help you find where they are buried.