ShabbatUK is part of the international Shabbos project but tailored specifically for the UK Jewish community. Its primary goal is to connect people with Shabbat, and this is achieved in 3 ways:
- Encourage increased engagement with Shabbat observance
- Unify the largest possible numbers of British Jews
- Empowering communities to achieve great things locally
This year in Bushey, Shabbat UK was 27/28th October, but there was a week of events:
- Stanmore and Bushey went head to head in a rent-a-crowd challenge. Who could get the most attendees to take part in shabbat-inspired talks in the week before Shabbat uk? There were 14 hosts, 14 speakers and although it was close Bushey came out on top with 196 people taking part compared to Stanmore’s 182. As it was all a good-natured competition in the spirit of charity Bushey and Stanmore jointly decided to donate the £3000 raises to Hatzola Edgware, the local Jewish volunteer ambulance Corp serving our local communities.
- The Great Bushey Challah Make, with Tracey Fine on Thuday
- Friday Night International Oneg, with desserts and drinks from around the world.
- Shabbat UK Day & Lunch, with services, learning, Luch, Detective Chief Superintendent Terri Nicholson, Head of Operations, Counter Terrorist Command, New Scotland Yard and Seudah. There is a brochure with more detailed descriptions, and information on the speakers HERE.
- Children’s Art Competition, with entries displayed at the Shul, and the winner announced during the afternoon Seudah
Click on the thumbnail photos below for a bigger version.
The Shabbat UK website gives more background information.
See Shabbat UK 2016 to see what Bushey did.